In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the top 100 selling grocery items that are in the highest demand and most profitable for grocery stores in the US.
This list was compiled based on our in-depth market analysis and data from U.S. stores in recent months. As you read this article, keep in mind that grocery stores in every country, state and city have slightly different characteristics and different most popular products.
TOP SELLING GROCERY ITEMS
1. SODA (COKE, SPRITE) & SOFT DRINKS
3. CHIPS (CHITOS, DORITOS & LAY’S)
6. BREAKFAST CEREAL & INSTANT OATMEAL
7. CANDY BARS (KIT KAT, SNICKERS & MILKY WAY ETC.)
8. BLOCK CHEESE & DELI CHEESE
10. BOTTLED WATER
11. CIGARETTES & ECIGARETTES
Also tobacco and lighters.
12. CHOCOLATE BARS
13. SNACK CAKES
For example, the likes of Debbie, Reese’s, Hostess.
14. COOKIES & CRACKERS
Primarily similar ones to Oreo.
15. PEPPERONI, JERKY, BACON, HAM & OTHER PACKAGED MEAT
17. CUPCAKES & MUFFINS
18. BREAKFAST BARS & GRANOLA BARS
19. FRESH FRUITS (ESP. BANANAS, APPLES & LEMONS)
The other most popular and profitable products to sell will also be blueberries. Bananas are one of the most purchased products in the U.S. and the most purchased fruit in the U.S. Another one of top selling fruits are oranges.
20. FRESH VEGETABLES (ESP. POTATOES, TOMATOES & CUCUMBERS)
The other most important vegetables to sell are mainly onions, lettuce, garlic, peppers, avocados & carrots.
Alcohol, depending on the brand can be very profitable and generally generates a large profit. Its big advantage is a very long shelf life.
22. FRIED CHICKEN
23. CANDIES & OTHER SWEETS
This is one of the main top selling grocery products. Examples of the best selling ones are: M&Ms, Ferrero Rocher or Skittles.
25. YOGURTS & MILKSHAKES
26. FRUIT JUICES
27. FRESH & FROZEN BEEF
28. HOT DOGS
29. PEANUT BUTTER
30. HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS
It’s a whole big category of very well selling products. Examples of such products include window cleaners, garbage bags, kitchen cleaners, bleaches or cleaning wipes.
31. BABY DISPOSABLE DIAPERS
32. MAYONNAISE & MIRACLE WHIP
34. FROZEN PIZZA
35. CREAM & CREAM DESSERTS (LIKE COOL WHIP)
36. ICE CREAM
38. PHILADELPHIA CREAM CHEESE
39. BUTTER (QUARTER)
41. VITAMIN C, OTHER VITAMINS & SUPLEMENTS
42. PASTA & MACARONI
43. DELI ROLLS
44. EGGO FROZEN WAFFLES & PANCAKES
46. FROZEN FISH
47. FROZEN SEAFOOD
50. MEAL KITS
53. DOG & CAT FOOD
54. GIFT CARDS (AMAZON, ITUNES, ZALANDO ETC.)
55. CANNED SOUPS
56. CANNED CHICKEN, HAM & VEGETABLES
The most popular canned vegetables include canned carrots, corn, beans and potatoes
57. TUNA FISH & CANNED SALMON
59. DISH SOAP
60. DETERGENTS & FABRIC SOFTENERS
61. TOILET PAPER
62. JAMS & APPLESAUCE
63. HONEY & MAPLE SYRUP
64. ENERGY DRINKS & SPORT DRINKS
65. FROZEN VEGETABLES
Including frozen vegetable mix, frozen spinach, broccoli, green peas, green beans and brussels
66. DEL MONTE GREEN BEANS
67. DISPOSABLE CUPS
68. DISPOSABLE UTENSILS
69. SOYBEAN OIL & SUNFLOWER OIL
71. DISPOSABLE SHAVING RAZORS
73. KETCHUP, MAYONNAISE, BBQ & MUSTARD
74. CHEWING GUM
Like this spicy ramen available on Amazon.
76. DISPOSABLE PLATES
77. TISSUES & PAPER TOWELS
78. OLIVE OIL
79. SAUCES (SOY, TABASCO, FISH)
Also salad dressing
81. BABY FOOD
82. SKINCARE PRODUCTS (LIKE NIVEA CREAM)
Also mouthwash & other dental care products e.g. dental floss.
85. TOMATO PASTE, TOMATO SAUCE
86. BAKING POWDER
87. ICE CUBES
88. BAGGED SALADS
89. PACKAGED MAC & CHEESE
92. HAND SANITIZERS
94. SPICES, HERBS & SEASONINGS
96. SHOWER GELS
98. SUGAR & SALT
99. FEMININE HYGIENE PRODUCTS
Other Top Selling Grocery Items:
- Fresh salmon
- Cosmetics (e.g. facial cleansers & liquid make-up removers)
- Laundry detergents
- Seeds (and seed mixes)
- Salsa dip (cheese & Mexican)
- Gluten-free products
- Seasonal items (such as holiday-themed candies and decorations)
- Frozen breakfast sandwiches
GROCERY TOP SELLING ITEMS TIPS
- Products like milk and dairy are some of the top selling grocery items. Note that in most stores, these are located deep within the store. This is so that when you go to get them, you have to go through the whole store and on the way you will see many other products and buy some of them too. A proper store layout such as this allows you to increase the amount of revenue.
- Many products are needed daily. People eat bread, dairy, pasta every day.
You can make a lot of money on these products because they are sold the most.
On the other hand, products such as skin care products, beauty products, dental care, hair care, detergents or salt are bought rarely because people often have a stock at home and use them slowly.
- The store size and location can make a huge difference. Some stores are positioned as ‘family’ grocery stores, and others are more like convenience stores to buy a few of the most needed items on the way to work, a meeting or home. This affects the sale of different products at different rates. Family stores sell more toilet paper, household cleaners, canned food etc. while quick stop stores sell relatively more soft drinks, soda, bread, milk and snacks.
- The popularity of the products sold at a particular grocery store also depends on the demographic composition of the neighborhood. For example, if a neighborhood has a large history of immigration from Italy then that store will sell more pasta, canned tomatoes and olive oil. If, on the other hand, a neighborhood has strong ties to immigration and the Japanese community, then the store will very likely sell more fresh fish, rice or pickled ginger. It is worth paying attention to which customers visit our store most often and adjust products to them. Another important factor is what other stores are nearby and which products will have the least competition from other nearby stores.
- Much depends on the location and profile of the store. Slightly different products will be popular in convenient stores and others in medium and large supermarkets.
Read also: 50 TOP Small Shop Ideas That Make Good Money
And what products are selling best in grocery stores in your area? Share your observations with us in the comments below.
Welcome to our comprehensive guide on the 100 best products to sell in a toy store. Whether you are a seasoned entrepreneur looking to optimize your...
Books have been a staple of human society for centuries, serving as vessels for knowledge, entertainment, and art. As such, bookstores have long...
In today's ever-changing economy, finding assets that can hold their value and provide stability is crucial. Whether you're an experienced investor or simply interested in preserving your wealth, our comprehensive guide to the top 50 store of value assets is here to...
Welcome to our comprehensive article on the top 100 best selling garden center products. In this article, we have carefully curated a list of the most popular garden center products that are currently in high demand among consumers. Our team has conducted extensive...